If the professor assigned you to write an essay about a sea expedition, or you chose this topic yourself, you’ve landed on the right page! This article will guide you through every stage of writing a top-notch essay about a sea expedition based on the Weddell Sea Expedition example.
Before we get to the point, let us say a couple of words about the expedition itself. The expedition was initiated by John Shears (co-leader) and Julian Dowdeswell (chief scientist). It began on January 1, 2019, and lasted for 45 days, and, as you can guess from the name, the expedition took place on the Weddell Sea, located in Antarctica.
The core goals of the expedition were to study the life beneath the ice and investigate the ice shelves that have formed around the Weddell Sea. To be more specific, the scientists wanted to study one specific shelf named the Larsen C Ice Shelf after there was an incident in July 2017 when a giant iceberg broke off it.
And now that you know all the basic details of this expedition, let’s move on to the main question that you have in your mind - So, how do I write my essay?
How to Start an Essay About a Sea Expedition
Unless you decide to delegate the assignment to a professional write my essay for me service, there will be a few prewriting steps that you will need to take prior to writing. First, you should pick a specific topic that you want to disclose in your paper; for example, it could be the Weddell Sea Expedition, and carefully study it.
While conducting your research, you have to collect the main valid data and facts concerning your topic that you can later use in your sea expedition essay.
Looking back at the example of the 2019’s expedition on the Weddell Sea, here are a few key facts you should know in order to write an informative and compelling essay:
- Location: the Weddell Sea, Antarctica
- Starting date: January 1, 2019
- Duration: 45 days
- Leaders: John Shears and Julian Dowdeswell
- Partners: Scott Polar Research Institute, Flotilla Foundation, Nelson Mandela University, the University of Canterbury, and University of Cape Town
- Deployed vehicles: AUVs and ROVs
- Participants: 36 scientists, technicians, and surveyors
Apart from these basic expedition details, also focus on studying the goals of this initiative and research any real value or influence the expedition itself and its findings had on the scientific community.
Pick a Killer Topic
After you have determined a specific topic for your essay, you still need to narrow it down and come up with an engaging title for your essay.
Coming back to our example, of course, you could go the easy way and just use the name of the expedition as the title of your paper. However, it may not be narrow enough to address in a short essay, and it may not be interesting enough to grab the reader’s attention.
Here are a few examples of well-formulated essay expedition topics about the Weddell Sea Expedition:
- The Influence of the Expedition of the Weddell Sea on the Future Analysis of Microplastic Pollution
- The Weddell Sea Expedition: A Study of the Wreck of “Endurance” in 1915
- Life Underneath the Ice: Marine Life in the Weddell Sea
- The Weddell Sea Expedition: Challenges and Findings
- The Study of the Larsen C Ice Shelf Iceberg Breakage in 2017
Organize Ideas in a Detailed Outline
The next step would be to create a detailed outline that covers all your ideas. Here is a sample outline for an essay about Weddell Sea Expedition:
The Key Goals of the Weddell Sea Expedition
- A hook - The Weddell Sea Expedition was the most ambitious non-governmental initiative in the Antarctic for decades.
- Background information - location, date, participants, etc.
- Thesis statement - During the Weddell Sea Expedition, scientists were determined to accomplish several objectives at once.
- Paragraph 1 - Goal 1 (to study the Larsen C Ice Shelf and the incident with the iceberg in 2017)
- Paragraph 2 - Goal 2 (to study the life beneath the ice)
- Paragraph 3 - Goal 3 (to study the potential implications of climate change)
- Summary of the key points
- Restated thesis
- Food for thought - Though all the set goals were met in the course of the expedition, the Weddell Sea area still remains undiscovered, leaving plenty of space for future studies.
Start Writing Your Weddell Sea Expedition Essay
After you have defined your main topic, studied the subject matter and collected the facts, came up with an engaging title, and planned your essay thoroughly, you can finally get to the next stage. That’s when you can finally get directly to writing your Weddell Sea Expedition essay.
The writing stage is probably the longest phase in essay writing, but you can make it simple and stress-free if you carefully follow the outline you’ve created. That’s where the outline is your handiest tool that will help you succeed.
Now, let’s quickly define how to write every element of your paper.
A perfect introduction to your Weddell Sea essay should begin with an attention-grabbing hook. The core objective of the hook is to grab the reader’s attention and make them want to continue reading. As a hook, you can use an interesting fact, shocking stats, a quote, or even a rhetorical question.
After the hook, you have to make a short introduction to the subject matter, specifying the details readers need to know. Then, you have to add a compelling thesis.
In the main body of your essay about the Weddell Sea Expedition, you need to include 2 to 4 paragraphs (depending on the total word count), each focusing on one specific idea connected to the essay’s general topic and thesis statement.
Every paragraph should start with a topic sentence, stating its core idea, followed by the necessary explanations, facts, evidence, and arguments. And, in the end, you should also make a logical transition in order to tie your paragraphs together.
Write a closing paragraph that recaps the main ideas, restates your thesis statement, and leaves the reader with some food for thought. For example, in an essay about the Expedition of the Weddell Sea, you can finish by expressing the value of this expedition or pointing out the need for more expeditions.
Revise Your Sea Expedition Essay
Once the final draft of your essay about the Expedition of the Weddell Sea looks good, don’t rush to hand it in right away as there is one more thing you need to take care of - revision.
Although many students don’t find it necessary to proofread and edit their papers before the submission, it actually is, and you have to take this step, unless, of course, you don’t care about the grade.
Here are a few tips to help you do things right:
- Let it rest for at least a few hours or, even better, days;
- Read multiple times;
- Edit for one kind of mistake at a time;
- Use special software to automate the process;
- Ask someone to review your work and give a second opinion on it.
And, of course, you can also request editing help from our write essay for me service, and we will bring your draft to perfection.
Have Any Troubles Writing an Essay About the Expedition?
In case you are still not sure how to create a compelling essay about the Weddell Sea Expedition or are facing any troubles in the writing process, we have you covered!
Come to our essay writing service, order an essay and our pro writers will do it for you. Our experts with MA and Ph.D. degrees will satisfy any "write my personal statement" request, following all your requirements.
Best part? Placing an order for your A-worthy essay is as easy as simply saying, “please, write an essay for me.” Only one phrase sets you apart from your dream essay, so don’t miss the chance!